From April 1st to November 1st, the trains that connect the Cinque Terre villages are dubbed the “Cinque Terre Express.” TrenItalia would like for you to think of the Cinque Terre Express as a light rail system for the five villages but the truth of the matter is that they are the same tracks and trains as always, just with a slightly increased frequency and with tickets at a much higher rate (*sigh*).
Local residents have actually filed a class action lawsuit with TrenItalia over the matter but it’s still currently buried in Italy’s judicial system (and I don’t want to bore you with details, if and when there’s news to report I’ll post about it here on the blog).
What you need to know about the Cinque Terre Express
- The Cinque Terre Express trains connect between La Spezia Centrale, Riomaggiore, Manarola, Corniglia, Vernazza, Monterosso and Levanto. If you are arriving by train from elsewhere in Italy, it is highly likely that you will have to change trains in La Spezia or Levanto.
- The Cinque Terre Express trains have flat-rate prices: €4 per adult, €2 per child age 4-11, free for kids age 0-3. Whether you travel a very short distance (like between Riomaggiore and Manarola which takes just two minutes) or a longer distance (like between La Spezia Centrale and Levanto, which are on opposite ends of the line) the same ticket price applies.
- Each time you get off and back on the train you’ll need a new ticket. IMPORTANT: In order to avoid a hefty fine, don’t forget to validate your ticket before boarding the train!
- If you plan to take the train between the villages at least four times in one day, you’ll want to buy the Cinque Terre Card. This all-inclusive card costs €16 and includes unlimited train travel on the Cinque Terre Express, among other perks (see my previous post for details here). Aside from the potential to save you money, the Cinque Terre Card will also save you time & stress (as you won’t need to queue up to buy and validate tickets each time).
- The Cinque Terre Express is popular not only with visitors, but also with pickpockets. Be on guard and read my previous post on the subject here.
Want to know how to consult the schedule for the Cinque Terre Express trains? Easy! As these are TrenItalia trains you can consult the schedule online at www.trenitalia.com